Climate change is among the most disruptive forces shaping the 21st century, with seismic implications for corporate business models and capital allocation for the foreseeable future. In order to successfully transition industries to net zero operations, engagement between corporates and the financial sector is critical.
The Forum is advantageously positioned, given its partnership base, networks, and future oriented platforms, to drive industry transformation toward a carbon neutral future.
Therefore the platform for Shaping the Future of Financial and Monetary Systems and the Future of Investing– in coordination with Mission Possible – will pursue a cross-industry platform initiative on financing the transition to a net zero future. Digital interaction will be an important means of delivery; activities will also leverage meetings, such as SDI, ISM and Davos, as well as the convenings of international organizations (e.g. IMF/WBG), trade associations, among other fora.
In terms of professional services support, we are we are seeking a project fellow (full time) to join the project for 12 months, supporting us remotely, working with a team on-site in New York.
Phase I will commence on 1 April 2020 and conclude 30 June 2021. Key objectives include:
· Determining financing opportunities and challenges confronting sector(s), including a funding gap analysis. Initiative to start with heavy industries: Oil & Gas, Mining & Metals and Mobility, and dimension existing and future funding gaps required to achieve carbon neutral operations along with roadmap;
· Identifying critical technological and enabling inputs (commodities, fueling stations, etc.) required for successful transition as well as the financing needs of select technologies, as relevant;
· Identifying new and/or existing financial instruments and structures with appropriate incentives to fund the transition; codification of best practices and learnings across industry clusters;
· Establishing new and promoting existing metrics to measure and monitor progress; direct ties to the IBC ESG metrics initiative, TCFD, SASB, as well as the ESG Data Alliance;
· Securing a public commitment to decarbonization from participating institutions
Future Phases will apply leading practices and learnings gleaned from Phase I to additional sectors.